Yoshihiro Togashi wrote and designed the manga series Hunter Hunter (pronounced “hunter hunter”). Since March 1998, it has been serialized in Shueisha’s shonen manga magazine Weekly Shonen Jump, while the series has gone on extended hiatuses many times since 2006.
· The plot revolves around a young boy named Gon Freecss who discovers that his father abandoned him when he was young.
· He is a world-renowned Hunter, a licensed professional specializing in fantastical pursuits such as locating rare or unknown animal species, treasure hunting, surveying new enclaves, or hunting down lawless individuals.
· Gon has learned his whole life that both of his parents are dead. When he hears through Kite, his father’s disciple, that he is still alive, he leaves his home on Whale Island to take the Hunter Examination.
· Gon and his companions pass the Hunter exam after many tries. Gon got constantly confronted by Hisoka, a strange and dangerous transmuter who takes an interest in him. Kurapika, the only remaining member of the Kurta clan, wishes to avenge his family and recover their eyes.
· Gon, Kurapika, Leorio, and Killua are the last three candidates to pass the Hunter Exam.
· They meet Zushi, who has a kung fu teacher named Wing who teaches them how to harness Nen, Qi-like life energy that practitioners use to manifest parapsychological skills.
· Gon and his pals reconvene in Yorknew City sometime later when they struggle with the Phantom Troupe. Kurapika defeats a gang of thieves to save Gon and Killua from being kidnapped, but not before sealing their leader’s abilities, Chrollo Lucifer.
· During the event, Kurapika kills two gang members, forcing him to give up the prospect of hunting down the others.
· They first got outclassed by the game’s demands but are soon joined and coached by Biscuitsuit Krueger, an accomplished Nen instructor and kung fu master.
· The three complete the game together, and Gon earns the ability to pick which relics he needs to reconnect with his father.
· Gon and Killua got sent back to meet Kite, who is investigating the human-sized Chimera Ant queen. She is an insect that eats other creatures and then produces kids with the features of the many species it has devoured.
· Her progeny acquires the power of Nen by consuming Hunters. Kite sacrifices himself when confronted by the Chimera Ants’ Royal Guard.
· The Association dispatches a team of their most potent Hunters, led by Netero, to defeat the Ants and their king Meruem.
· Meanwhile, Gon faces up against Neferpitou, the Ant assassinated Kite, who got hospitalized and severely ill after overusing Nen.
· Following the death of Netero, Killua returns home to implore his younger sister Alluka to save Gon’s life. His family is hesitant to risk losing Alluka or having her hazardous abilities used against them.
· Killua manages to lock away Alluka’s alter ego, Nanika, most likely a monster from the Dark Continent.
· Killua leaves Gon to tour the world with Alluka while Gon meets his father and discovers the valid reason for his mission. Beyond, financed by the Kingdom of Kakin, organizes an expedition to the Dark Continent.
· Kurapika and Leorio replace Ging and Pariston Hill, who formed their Dark Continent exploration teams.
· Chrollo regains his abilities and grants Hisoka’s request for a battle. Hisoka begins killing the Phantom Troupe members after resurrecting through Nen.
· Kurapika’s personal goal is to recover the last batch of scarlet eyes held by Tserriednich, Kakin’s Fourth Prince.
Hunter Hunter has been a tremendous critical and commercial success for Shueisha, with over 79 million copies in circulation as of November 2021, making it one of his best-selling manga series.
In 2019, Polygon called the series one of the finest anime of the decade, while Crunchyroll added it to their list of the “Top 25 best anime of the decade.”
IGN also named Hunter Hunter 2011 one of the decade’s finest anime series.