Masashi Kishimoto is the writer and creator of the Japanese comic series Naruto. It follows the tale of young ninja Naruto Uzumaki, who aspires to be recognized by his peers and the Hokage, the head of his village.
The narrative got divided into two halves, the first occurring when Naruto was a preteen and the second when he was a teen.
- Konoha, a secret leaf hamlet in the Land of Fire, one of the Five Great Shinobi Countries in the Ninja World, is attacked by the mighty fox known as the Nine-Tails.
- In response, the Fourth Hokage and leader of Konoha, Minato Namikaze, seals the fox inside the body of his son, Naruto Uzumaki, turning him into a host of the beast.
- It costs Naruto’s father his life, and the Third Hokage then comes out of retirement to take over as the leader of Konoha once more. Because he is the host of the Nine-Tails, Naruto gets frequently derided by the inhabitants of Konoha.
- Soon after, Naruto trains to become a ninja and joins forces with Sakura Haruno and other ninjas to create Team 7.
- Sasuke joins Orochimaru to gather the strength needed to kill Itachi, who had arrived in Konoha to capture Naruto after he tries and fails to kill his elder brother Itachi. When Sasuke leaves the village, the plot twist occurs.
- Tsunade sends a ninja party, including Naruto, to find Sasuke, but Naruto cannot convince or coerce him to return.
- Sakura joins Tsunade’s apprentice program as Naruto leaves Konoha to train with Jiraiya to better deal with Sasuke the next time they cross paths.
- Naruto returns from his training with Jiraiya 2.5 years later. Sasuke turns on Orochimaru while seeking retribution from Itachi.
- After Itachi gets killed in combat, Sasuke learns through the founder of the Akatsuki, Tobi, that Itachi had agreed to carry out the Konoha leaders’ request to wipe out his clan in exchange for Sasuke’s safety.
- One of Konoha’s founding fathers, Madara Uchiha, declares his intention to capture all nine Tailed Beasts to create an illusion strong enough to rule over all people and bring global peace.
- The heads of the five ninja villages turn down his offer of assistance and band together to take on his group and friends. As a result of that choice, a Fourth Shinobi World War broke out between Akatsuki’s troops of zombie-like ninjas and the combined armies of the Five Great Countries (known as the Allied Shinobi Forces).
- Sasuke chooses to defend the village and reunites with Naruto and Sakura to foil Madara and Obito’s schemes after learning the details of Konoha’s past, particularly the events that led to the dissolution of his clan.
- As he exposes his intention to overthrow the present village structure, Sasuke seizes control of all the Tailed Beasts by taking advantage of the circumstance. Naruto challenges Sasuke to change his mind about his scheme, and after they almost killed one another in the last battle, Sasuke concedes defeat and reforms.
- After the conflict, Kakashi ascends to the position of Sixth Hokage and absolves Sasuke of all charges. Years later, Kakashi retires, and Naruto raises the next generation while becoming married to Hinata Hyuga and becoming the Seventh Hokage.
With 250 million copies sold globally in 47 countries and regions—153 million of which are in Japan alone—Naruto is one of the best-selling manga series in history. The remaining 97 million copies got distributed overseas.
Numerous surveys have identified Naruto Shippuden as one of Japan’s most popular television programs. Due to significant international sales, it was also the highest-earning anime franchise for TV Tokyo in 2019.